Are you a good teacher for your children?
A good teacher for your children needs to be...
In Teach Your Own, John Holt talks about who can be a home schooling parent.
We can sum up very quickly what people need to be a good teacher for their own children.
They have to:
- like them, enjoy their company, their physical presence, their energy, foolishness, and passion
- enjoy all their talk and questions, and enjoy equally trying to answer those questions
- think of their children as friends, indeed very close friends
- feel happier when they are near and miss them when they are away
- trust them as people, respect their fragile dignity, treat them with courtesy, and take them seriously
- feel in their own hearts some of their children's wonder, curiosity, and excitement about the World
- have enough confidence in themselves, skepticism about experts, and willingness to be different from most people, to take on them the responsibility for their children's learning
So if you are interested in becoming an elementary teacher or just a teacher for your own children you can be reassured. Just keep the above qualifications in mind and try to put them into practice. If you do, you will be a good quality teacher!
If you decide for whatever reason that you want to home school but are unable to teach, check out e-Tutoring.